Friday, September 24, 2010

Mac & Cheese

Last weekend was wonderful! I got to hangout with friends, eat the food that I LOVE and miss, and get to visit my favorite supermarket!  Now it may sound silly that I love a supermarket- WEGMANS- so much..but I do.  When I went there, I felt..happy- everything about it is awesome.  I found some mini casserole dishes on sale and couldn't resist to get them.  I stood at the aisle for, literally, 10 minutes deciding oval or circle? green/yellow or blue/ red? should i get plates too? ... So I got them ALL! hahaha =] which is perfect because there is 4 plates (blue, red, yellow, green) and 1 of each color in the casserole dishes- 2 circle and 2 oval. 

I was super excited and couldn't stop thinking what I could make.  I decided to make Mac&Cheese with tomatoes.  The recipe was in Cook's Country and I've been wanting to make it for a while now. 

Mac&Cheese with Tomatoes (serves 4)
Salt & Pepper
1/2 lb of elbow macaroni
1 can (small can) petite diced tomatoes
3 tablespoon of unsalted butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
pinch of cayenne pepper
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 cups shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Preheat oven to 400degrees.  Move the rack to the middle position.

1. Cook the macaroni according to directions.  Drain the pasta and return to pot.  Pour diced tomatoes with their juice over pasta and stir to coat.  Cook over medium heat until most of the liquid is absorbed- about 5 minutes.  
2. As the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in flour and cayenne and cook until the flour is golden.  Slowly, whisk the half-and-half and broth into the flour and whisk until it is smooth.  Bring to a boil and lower the heat to medium heat.  Cook and stir until sauce is thickened- about 15 mins.  Take the saucepan off the heat and add in the cheeses.  Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Pour sauce over the macaroni and stir to combine.
4. Scrape the macaroni and cheese into a baking dish  and bake until the top is golden brown- about 15-20 minutes.  Let sit for 15 minutes before serving or else it would be soupy.  

NOTE: To make this dish ahead of time, do steps 1-3 and put in the cooking dish.  Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.  When ready to be baked, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another 15 for the golden brown top.  

1 comment:

  1. My mouth is watering...I've never even had the pleasure of eating mac and cheese that looked that good. I so want to crunch through the top of that mac!

    ReplyDelete