Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Easiest Basic Vanilla Cake


As I mentioned in the last post, I like to weight my ingredients rather than measuring them volumetrically (using cups and tea/table spoons)... (is" volumetrically" even a word?)  When I made my sister's wedding cake I measured out the small ingredients (baking powder, salt, and extract) in tea/ table spoons just because they were easier.  This time I started to weigh them and as I weighted them I thought "THERE IS NO WAY THIS IS 2 TABLESPOONS OF BAKING POWDER!! when I weighed them out, it seemed a LOT more than just 2 tablespoons.  Also, I used the same spoon to "measure" salt and baking powder and I thought it was really different in terms of how much it weighs. I started to question myself...

Then I thought it out... you can't really convert volume into weight because different ingredients have different masses (ahhh... the engine-nerd inside of me...) therefore I am still doing the right thing and adding the right amount of ingredients.  I'm converted now, if you weight your ingredients, weigh all of them!  Although there is really no difference in terms of outcome between weighing or using volume for the baking powder, salt, or extract.  To make it easier for everyone, I'll just post things with volumetric measurements.

Basic Vanilla Cake (2-9in cakes)
4 1/2 egg white
1 cup milk
2 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups of flour
1 1/2 cup of sugar
2 tablespoon of baking powder
3/4 teaspoon of salt
12 tablespoon of unsalted butter

Bake at 350F.

1- Mix dry ingredients together in mixer bowl.
2- in a small bowl, mix the egg white, milk and vanilla together.
3- pour 1/4 of the egg mixture and all butter into the dry ingredients and beat until light and fluffy.
4- add the remaining egg mixture in 3 batches, mixing well after each addition.

it is easy as that!


No comments:

Post a Comment