Sunday, October 10, 2010

Just Desserts Week 2- Cocktail Inspired

I am so behind on this challenge! =] I didn't want to make a dessert if it was only me enjoying it... so I had to wait until My Dearest came home from road trips.  

I have a little rant... TCJD (Top Chef Just Desserts) has so much DRAMA!!!! geez.. so much more drama than just Top Chef.  But I loveeee that one guy.. I forgot his name.. but he has the funniest phrases.  For instance in the first episode something like- being a pastry chef is like giving birth, you work really hard to make it put a lot of effort and love and then are not sure how it will [grow/end] up to be =] IT IS SOOOO TRUE! I love that line. 


Week 2 challenge is to make a dessert that is inspired by a cocktail.  My favorite cocktails are Ginger Ale w/ Whiskey, Kahlua Sunset, "Chocolate Milk", and Lemon Strawberry Mojito- the last being my inspiration.  The idea was to make a Lemon Panna Cotta with Sprite infused Mint and Strawberry syrup.  The finished product is a nice creamy lemony custard with a kick of tartness from the strawberry.  The lemon flavor was there without the sourness or the >.< looking faces.  The custard was a little too heavy/ dense for my taste but the strawberry tartness balanced it out very well.  The syrup also had a nice subtle mint and lemon flavor from (of course) mint and a splash of Bacardi Limon.  The changes I would make next time I make this is to use less cream or use more serving bowls so I'm not eating a large serving of Panna Cotta. Lesson learned and remembered. 

There is no recipe for the syrup since I come up with it and was trying it out...but the Lemon Panna Cotta recipe can be found at http://www.cooksillustrated.com 

Coming up for week 3 and 4 challenge is Mini Apple and Pumpkin Pie "Bake Sale" and "Cheesecake Flambe Bombe"

No comments:

Post a Comment